According to the Environment Protection Agency, indoor air pollution is 2 to 5 times- and occasionally more than 100 times- more polluted than outside air. Recent studies show that indoor air pollutants have been ranked among the top 5 environmental risks to public health.
When you are working in an office, you spend a minimum of 8 hours every day for 5 days usually. That is about one-third of your whole day. Your office carpet can be a cause of sickness among the employees if not cleaned regularly. Aside from the dirt that is trap in carpets, it can also affect the overall indoor air quality of your office.
Health effects from indoor air pollutants include irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat. It may give headaches, dizziness and fatigue. You are at a greater risk if you have a respiratory condition.
How does an office building contribute to indoor pollution?
When constructing a new building, in order to reduce energy costs, it is designed to be more airtight, preventing “fresh” indoor air from circulating into the system. Bad air is also not recirculating.
Fungi, molds, bacteria and disease-causing germs spread quickly and effectively through ventilation system. Depending on the type of office environment you have, they can spread and cause sickness among employees.
Each day you are surrounded with furniture, equipment and supplies which are made up of different kinds of materials like plastics. These can contain chemicals which give off small amounts of gases that are circulated throughout the building.
How do carpets contribute to indoor air pollution?
Your carpets also contribute to indoor air pollution.
- Carpeting holds on tight to dirt, dust, moisture and even bugs. These are also circulated throughout the building through the heating and cooling system installed.
- All the air impurities can compromise the health of employees. They can have reduced productivity due to lost work days. In the long run, this can affect the profitability of the business.
What are the benefits of regular commercial carpet cleaning?
Like your furniture and office equipment, your commercial carpet also needs regular cleaning for the following reasons:
- Regular cleaning and vacuuming of your carpets will remove all the dirt and dust trapped in them. Regular cleaning keeps the carpet fibers from breaking down. When your fibers break down, they tend to attract more dirt and other particles.
- Regular carpet cleaning will improve your indoor air quality. When all carpet impurities are extracted, expect a good air quality in your office. It will give you better indoor environment.
- Regular carpet cleaning can contribute to employees’ health. When your office has a clean working environment, employees will perform better in their jobs.
- Regular carpet cleaning will improve the overall image of the company. Aside from the employer and employees, other people are visiting your office premises. These people might just be one of your potential investors. A clean carpet can give a good impression of your company to your visitors.
There are also a number of carpet options today that emit lower levels of gases and adhesives for installing them that are low-emitting. You can help improve indoor air quality by choosing more environment friendly products.